Cyber Security is an important and growing area of work for computing professionals. Any organization that has a computer network or uses the Internet has a potential security risk and will need people with specialized skills to help protect their systems and data. You may also find yourself working for a specialist consultancy firm that provides such a service to smaller organizations.
Computer systems store, process and communicate a wide variety of data. Much of this data is private and improper access to it can result in significant costs to an organization or the person that owns the data. Securing computer systems against malicious attack or even against inadvertent damage is vital to any computer system. This programme gives you the knowledge and skills to enable you to prevent attacks and inadvertent damage to computer systems.
The first year provides a general grounding in computing skills and introduces you to the fundamental aspects of computer security. You will gain technical skills in both computer networks and computer systems that you will build on in later years. In the following years, you will develop technical skills in network security, and hacking attacks and defenses as well as in biometrics and biometric-based security systems. In the final year, cryptography and malicious software are covered in some detail.
Practical work in the specialist modules and the final year project will involve the development of appropriate security software. As part of studying network security you will cover the CISCO networking syllabus for Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Routing and Switching and then the follow-on CCNA Security syllabus. You will have an opportunity to take the industry-standard ECCouncil Ethical Hacker Certification.
We have placement students in a variety of organizations, including Cyber Security and Digital Forensic businesses.
Entry into the Programme will be via one of the following routes:
Route 1: Entry to Year 1 Degree
- Successful completion of STPM with 2 full passes or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.0 and completion of SPM or equivalent with credit in Mathematics; or
- Successful completion of A-Level with at least a pass in 2 subjects and successful completion of O-Level or equivalent with credit in Mathematics; or
- Recognised Matriculation or foundation with CGPA 2.0 and credit in Mathematics at SPM Level; or
- A qualification that APIIT accepts as equivalent to the above.
Direct Entry to Year 2 Degree
- Successful completion of the relevant APIIT Diploma, or
- Successful completion of the study in another recognized institution with academic credits equivalent to level 4 of an honors degree in relevant subjects
All students must demonstrate that they have met the equivalent of IELTS 6 either through formal English language assessment or through success in a prior study at “A” level or equivalent in English.
Topics you will experience include:
- Algorithms & Data Structures in C
- Hardware & Software Systems & Graphics
- Introduction to Forensic Tools & Techniques
- Introduction to Networking with LANs & WANs
- Introduction to Security Technologies
- Introduction to Software Development
- Mathematics & Statistics for Computing
- Systems and Database Analysis
- Computer Systems Low Level Techniques
- Hardware & Software Systems & Networks
- Ethical Hacking
- Biometrics 1
- LAN Switching and WAN Networks
- Professional & Enterprise Development
- Router Security Technologies
- System Programming and Computer Control
- Computer Systems Security
- Malicious Software and Security Programming
- Image Processing
- Group Case Study
- Biometrics 2
- Project: Artefact Realisation, Testing & Evaluation
- Project: Planning, Management, Communication & Appraisal
- Project: Research, Analysis & Artefact Design
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete four (4) General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
About the School
The Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology offers a range of programmes which are designed to produce highly employable graduates, by providing our students with an internationally benchmark ... Read More