Programme Code: W300 BA/MS
Duration: 3 years
- BTEC: DMM
- Access to HE: Minimum of 30 Level 3 Credits at Distinction
- Scottish Highers: BBBBB
- Scottish Advanced Highers: BBB
- Irish LC: 300 points from 5 Higher level subjects at grade C1 or above
- Advanced Placement: 3 4 4 (Two semesters - UCAS Group A) plus US HSGD with GPA 3.0
- Euro Bacc: 75%
- French Bacc: 13/20
- German Abitur: 2.5
- Italy DES: 75/100
- Austria Mat: 2.5
- Polish Mat: Overall 70% including 3 extended level subjects
Subjects Preferred: A level Music or equivalent is required for the single-subject degree. A level Music is not required for the combined Music programme, but evidence of both academic ability and active involvement in musical performance or composition is essential.
Interview Policy: Candidates not normally interviewed but encouraged to attend Open Days or contact the Department with inquiries.
This programme is a unique opportunity to study the musical traditions of Asia, Africa and the Middle East, and their global diasporas. Students are taught the basic principles of ethnomusicology and survey a variety of Asian and African music. In years 2 and 3 they are encouraged to focus on the music of specific regions and to consider cross-regional themes. Performance is a central component of the degree. Students have the opportunity to develop expertise in a great variety of musical performance traditions.
S.O.A.S. has the only Music department in the UK devoted to the study of world music. We have a very active musical life, including concert series, student ensembles and a successful summer school in which students can become involved. Students are taught in the heart of London, home to many vibrant and diverse communities and to a breath-taking array of world music concerts, workshops, and festivals. Our students actively participate in this rich and varied musical scene.
Graduates of the BMus Music possess not only musical and cultural expertise but also a portfolio of widely transferable skills sought by employers in professional and creative industries. The programme leads into careers and vocational pathways including arts management, festival administration and curating, music journalism, teaching, performing and composing, album production, and management and consultancy within the music industry in Europe, Asia, and Africa.
BMus Music can also be studied as part of a two-subject degree. This option allows more scope for studying language or other non-musical aspects of particular cultures. The single-subject degree allows greater concentration on music, including Western music and Performance.
First-year modules cover the basic principles of ethnomusicology and survey a variety of Asian and African music. Students additionally receive aural training (e.g. in transcription) and follow lessons in one or more Asian or African performance traditions. The Department is linked with nearby King’s College, University of London. Qualified S.O.A.S. students may take up to 30 credits in Western music at King’s, and King’s students may take modules in ethnomusicology at S.O.A.S., subject to approval from the appropriate tutors.
In Years 2 and 3, the student is encouraged to focus on the music of a selected region or regions through “area” modules focussing on Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, Southeast Asia, East Asia, and the Jewish world. A number of non-regional “thematic” modules and independent research projects are also available. Modules in other departments (“open options”) may be taken as appropriate, once the Music requirements have been met.
Year 1 Compulsory Modules
- Introduction to Music Analysis 155800070 (15 credits) Term 1
- Great Works: recordings, objects, films 158100003 (15 credits) Term 2
- Music and Culture 155800060 (15 credits) Term 1
- Performance 1a 155800061 (15 credits) Full Year
- Performance 1b 155800062 (15 credits) Full Year
- Sounds and Cultures 155800071 (15 credits) Term 1
Year 1 Optional Modules
- Studying Popular Music 155800090 (15 credits) Term 1
Year 2 Compulsory Module
- Ethnomusicology: Themes and Variations 155800065 (15 credits) Term 1
Year 3 Compulsory Module
- Urban Soundscapes 155800083 (15 credits) Term 1
Year 2 and 3 Area Modules
- Atlantic Africa: (P)Layers of Mediation in African Popular Music (UG) 155800079 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Classical singing in India: continuity and change 155800093 (15 credits) Term 2
- Jerusalem: Soundscapes of Nation and Conflict 155800091 (15 credits) Term 1 Not Running 2017/2018
- Klezmer Music: Roots and Revival 155800074 (15 credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- Music, Religion and Society in South Asia 155800086 (15 credits) Term 1
- Music and Religion in South East Asia 155800080 (15 credits) Term 2
- Music in Africa 155800022 (30 credits) Full Year
- Music, Religion and Society in the Middle East and North Africa 155800092 (15 credits) Term 1 Not Running 2017/2018
- Musical Traditions of East Asia 155800078 (15 credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- Pop and Politics in East Asia 155800077 (15 credits) Term 1
- Popular and Fusion Music in South East Asia (UG) 155800081 (15 credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- Raga: concept and practice 155800087 (15 credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- The World of Cuban Music 155800058 (15 credits) Term 1
Year 2 and 3 General Modules
- Arts, Culture and Commodification: Themes in the Global Creative and Cultural Industries 158100001 (15 credits) Term 1
- Composition 155800082 (15 credits) Term 1
- Curating Global Arts 158100004 (15 credits) Term 1
- Critical Readings in Arts and Cultures 158100002 (15 credits) Term 1
- Gender and Music 155800073 (15 credits) Term 2
- Global Hip-Hop 155800084 (15 credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- Introduction to Sound Recording 155800069 (15 credits) Full Year
- Music, Shamanism and Healing 155800055 (15 credits) Term 1 Not Running 2017/2018
- Presenting World Music On Radio 155800076 (15 credits) Term 2
- The Music Business 155800053 (15 credits) Term 2
- Extended Essay in Music 1 155800066 (15 credits) Term 1
- Extended Essay in Music 2 155800067 (15 credits) Term 2
- Independent Study Project in Music 155800026 (30 credits) Full Year
- Performance 2 155800042 (15 credits) Full Year
- Performance 3 155800045 (30 credits) Full Year
Program taught in: