Fusing science with creativity
On this course, you'll fuse creativity with the science and technology needed to make architectural plans a reality. We'll prepare you for design, technical and management skills, and teach you to apply scientific principles and practical knowledge to meet performance criteria.
Why study Architectural Technology at LSBU?
- No. 1 university in London for overall student satisfaction in Architecture, National Student Survey 2016 (includes Architectural Technology).
- Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT) and the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB).
- Option to complete your third year in a paid professional work placement.
- This course is available as part of an apprenticeship programme.
For those holding a relevant HNC/D, it is possible to enter the course in the third year and 'top up' your existing qualification to a full degree. To apply, use UCAS (full-time) or apply directly to LSBU (part-time) and simply indicate which year of the course you wish to join.
Key course information - ordered by mode
This course covers building design and technology, 3D visualization, project and contract management, and architectural conservation.
Methods of assessment for course overall: 65% coursework.
- Architectural design and technology 1
- Building services and environmental science
- Construction technology and materials
- Construction technology and structures
- Legal and economic context
- Construction practice
- 3D computer-aided design and building information modeling
- Architectural design procedures
- Construction contract law
- Measurement, cost planning and tender process for architects and building surveyors
- Property inspection, repair, and maintenance
- Theory of architecture, design, and conservation
- Research project
- Contract administration
- Sustainable construction and the environment
- Architectural design project
- Architectural design and technology 2
- Architectural practice management
Architectural Technologists are enlisted on architectural projects to translate designers' intentions into feasible development proposals. They are specialists in analyzing the requirements and challenges of a construction project and applying the best fit in terms of technology, materials, and processes.
A fully qualified Chartered Architectural Technologist can manage construction projects from design through to build. The profession requires strong drawing skills, problem-solving abilities and attention to detail. Also, as an array of software is used on a daily basis, it's important to be IT literate.
This course will prepare you for a career in the design and architectural fields, where you use sound technical skills and scientific principles to meeting building performance criteria.
You'll boost your employability through our vocational approach to teaching, an (optional) placement, and (optional) summer experience opportunities.
We're accredited by the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists, so you'll receive exemptions against your Professional and Occupational Performance (POP) Record - which is needed to become a Chartered Architectural Technologist (MCIAT).
Becoming an architectural technician is another popular route, and other career paths include working in surveying and in town planning.
Continuing to postgraduate studies
If you graduate from this course, you'll be able to apply for further study at postgraduate level, including our MSc Construction Project Management, MSc Building Surveying, and MSc Quantity Surveying – all of which are fully accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
The academic strength of this course means that you can also consider entering the field of academic research and an academic career.
Recent graduates have taken up positions such as research associate and university lecturer, while others have pursued Doctoral studies after completing a Masters degree.
LSBU Employability Service
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
LSBU is committed to supporting you develop your employability and succeed in getting a job after you have graduated. Your qualification will certainly help, but in a competitive market, you also need to work on your employability, and on your career search.
As an LSBU student, you have access to the Employability Service and its resources during your time here and for two years after you graduate.
Our Employability Service will support you in developing your skills, finding a job, interview techniques, work experience or a placement/internship, and will help you assess what you need to do to get the career you want at the end of your course. LSBU offers a comprehensive Employability Service, with a range of initiatives to complement your studies, including:
- Direct engagement from employers who come into network with students.
- Job Shop – daily drop-in service to help with, tailoring CVs, cover letters and applications, sourcing online resource, mock interviews and general job search. One to one appointments for further support also available.
- Mentoring and work shadowing schemes.
- Higher education achievement report - The HEAR is designed to encourage a more sophisticated approach to recording student achievement, which acknowledges fully the range of opportunities that LSBU offers to our students.
- It pulls into one certificate: Module grades, Course descriptions, Placements, LSBU verified extra-curricular activities.
- Employability workshops - delivered free to students all year round on a variety of related topics.
- Careers fairs throughout the year to really focus your thoughts on a career after university.
- A Level CCC or
- BTEC National Diploma DMM or
- Access to HE qualifications with 45 merits or
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 112 UCAS points.
- Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above).
- We welcome qualifications from around the world. English language qualifications for international students: IELTS score of 6.0 or Cambridge Proficiency or Advanced Grade C.
All modules are subject to change by the university and may differ from the modules you are offered during your studies.
Program taught in: