BSc (Hons) Bioscience makes sure that you develop all of the fundamental knowledge of scientific processes and procedures, current scientific research and innovation, and up-to-the-minute laboratory techniques alongside your chosen specialism.
Why Bioscience at LSBU?
- Industry relevant: Develop a broad range of skills to provide the widest career options in the field of biosciences.
- Recognised research quality: No.2 London modern university for research quality in Biological Sciences. (Complete University Guide League Table, 2018).
- Great teaching: Staff members are experts in their respective fields.
- Dedicated facilities: We have invested heavily in new equipment so that our mix of multi-purpose and specialist laboratories offer you the space and latest equipment for analysis and research.
- Work experience: You have the opportunity of working on an industrial placement.
- Strong alumni network: Become part of an 80,000-strong LSBU alumni network.
Key course information - ordered by mode
All modules are assessed by a mix of coursework and examinations (57% assessed by coursework).
- Biology of the cell
- Physiology and anatomy
- Nutrition, health, and disease
- Scientific skills
- Numerical methods for Bioscientists
- An option from a specialist path across the Applied Sciences area, including food, nutrition, sport, biomechanics, psychology, and forensics
- Research methods
- Disease and immunity
- Physics for life
- Human nutrition
- Two options from specialist paths
- Aetiology of disease
- Current perspectives in biosciences
- Two options from specialist paths
This course will prepare you for the rapidly expanding biosciences industries in fields such as public health, pharmaceuticals, medical diagnostics, pathology, healthcare, food production and environmental issues.
The course offers the broadest skill set of all our applied biosciences courses. If you choose to take the (optional) sandwich year, where you gain industrial/research experience, your employment prospects will improve further.
Graduate success stories
Recent graduates from this course have gone onto roles in medical and technical product sales, quality control, the pharmaceutical industry, medical writing, and teaching.
Continuing to postgraduate studies
Graduates would also be eligible to apply for further study at postgraduate level, including our Ph.D./MPhil research opportunities. The academic strength of this course means that you can also consider entering the field of academic research. Alumni from this course have secured pure research positions in universities and research institutions and applied for research roles in the biological-based industries.
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
As a student here you'll learn to solve real-life problems by integrating fundamental knowledge with the practical and social dimensions of science. We have invested heavily in new equipment so that our mix of multi-purpose and specialist laboratories offers you the space and latest equipment for analysis and research.
You'll have the opportunity to use all the instrumentation you would expect to find in a modern analytical laboratory as well as equipped food laboratories, with facilities for product development and testing.
Teaching and learning
We make extensive use of a Virtual Learning Environment (Moodle) to support student teaching, learning and assessment. Personal tutoring support is an integral part of the course. We also offer extra support in the form of extra clinics outside of lecture and tutorial sessions. There is a strong focus on the practical applications of knowledge, supported by hands-on laboratory exercises. A mix of assessment methods is employed in modules and across the course.
As an undergraduate Applied Sciences student, you will be allocated a named tutor during your first three weeks at LSBU. The role of your tutor is to be your primary contact for academic and professional development support.
Your tutor will support you to get the most of your time at LSBU, providing advice and signposting to other sources of support in the University.
Your tutor should be the first person at the university that you speak to if you are having any difficulties that are affecting your work. These could be academic, financial, health-related or another type of problem.
You will have a scheduled appointment with your personal tutor in your first semester. From here you will agree how to keep in touch and how often to meet throughout your course. You can contact your tutor for additional support by email.
- A Level CCD including two Science subjects or
- BTEC National Diploma MMM or
- Access to HE qualifications with 39 Merits and 6 Passes including 12 credits in Science related subjects or
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 96 UCAS points.
- Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above).
- We welcome qualifications from around the world. English language qualifications for international students: IELTS score of 6.0 or Cambridge Proficiency or Advanced Grade C.
All modules are subject to change by the university and may differ from the modules you are offered during your studies.
Program taught in: