Are you interested in developing systems and software? Tick. How about building databases? Tick. Then read on! As you might expect you’ll study system analysis, design, and development, but you’ll also learn about the transformative power of technology within a business. You’ll graduate as a well-informed all-rounder, ready to make a lasting impact on the business, public or charity sector.
Why Business at LSBU?
- We’re professionally recognized for full exemption from British Computer Society examinations.
- Specialist labs and industry-standard software mean you get the practical digital skills that employers value.
- Flexible framework: part of an Information Technology framework, designed to give the opportunity for specialization to suit career aspirations.
- Work experience: You'll have the option to undertake a work placement in your third year.
- Innovative research: No. 1 London Modern Uni for Research Quality - Computing, Sunday Times League Table 2017.
Key course information - ordered by mode
|Full-time||3 years||September||Southwark Campus|
|Sandwich||4 years||September||Southwark Campus|
|Part-time||4 years||September||Southwark Campus|
|Part-time||6 years||September||Southwark Campus|
First, we’ll teach you the core informatics principles: system analysis, design, development, and administration. Then we’ll teach you to apply this strategically within a business context. Your third-year placement gives you the chance to further hone your skills by developing real-world systems in professional environments.
Methods of assessment for course overall: 76% coursework.
- Business & Professional Issues
- Mathematical Analysis for Informatics
- Media, Computers, and Networks
- Socio-Technical Analysis of Requirements
- Software Development 1
- Software Development 2
- Database Systems
- Research & Professional Practice
- Managing Technological Innovation
- Management Concepts and Evaluation Techniques
- User-Centred Design
- System Design Techniques
- Optional placement year
- Information Management and Decision Support Systems
- Strategic IT Management
- Honours Informatics Project
- IS Project Management
Plus one optional module from:
- IT Systems Administration
- Digital Content Management
As a graduate, you’ll be prepared to work across the private, public and not-for-profit sectors, specifically in roles such as IT Project Manager, ICT Manager, IT System/Business Analyst or Information Systems Manager.
We pay as much attention to developing your professional working skills as your high-level computing knowledge. We’ll build your team working, problem-solving and communication skills so you can be confident about your graduate prospects.
Recent graduates from this course have gone into roles with a range of organizations including Fennwright Manson, Thomson Reuters, Computer Centre and the National Audit Office.
We are University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
- A Level BCC or
- BTEC National Diploma DMM or
- Access to HE qualifications with 9 Distinctions and 36 Merits including 3 Merits in Maths and 12 Merits in ICT or
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 106 UCAS points.
- Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above).
- We welcome qualifications from around the world. English language qualifications for international students: IELTS score of 6.0 or Cambridge Proficiency or Advanced Grade C.
Top up to BSc
- HND in a relevant subject
All modules are subject to change by the university and may differ from the modules you are offered during your studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 8, 2018