Oversee the build
How about combining site action with the business side of the building industry? This accredited course will equip you with the skills for a career in construction management, allowing you to be involved at every stage of exciting developments across London and beyond.
You’ll build a range of technical and managerial construction expertise, along with up to date knowledge of legislation and regulations – the bylaws, health and safety regulations and legal and financial implications of construction projects. We’ll also prepare you to lead multidisciplinary teams and deliver with confidence in complex environments.
This course, accredited by Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), will prepare you for a career in a range of fields within the built environment, including project management, contracting, consultancy and house building. The CIOB is the professional body representing the building industry.
We offer the opportunity for all undergraduate Home/EU students to undertake a work placement, internship or work experience while studying a full-time course starting in September 2019.
Why study Construction Management at LSBU?
- No. 1 London university: for 'satisfied with teaching' and 'satisfied with assessment' in Building, town and country planning (Guardian League Table 2018).
- No.1 London modern university for research intensity in Building (Complete University Guide 2019).
- Professional accreditation: we’re fully accredited by the Chartered Institute of Building.
- Our subject-specific facilities include a Building Information Modelling (BIM Centre).
- You'll be taught on a site which is part of a multi-billion pound regeneration area in the heart of London, so you'll be close to a range of employment opportunities for work placements, internships and networking.
- History: we’ve been educating building professionals for over 100 years – and have strong industry connections.
For those holding a relevant HNC/D, it is possible to enter the course in the third year and 'top up' your existing qualification to a full degree. To apply, use UCAS (full-time) or apply directly to LSBU (part-time) and simply indicate which year of the course you wish to join.
Key course information - ordered by mode
The knowledge gained enables you to have the confidence to work with other professionals and to deliver in a complex project or process environments. We’ll cover management and business practice, the legal aspects, economics, construction technology and materials, construction planning, project management and finance, and estimating and tendering.
Methods of assessment for course overall: 71% coursework
- Construction practice
- Surveying and setting out
- Legal and economic context
- Construction technology and materials
- Construction technology and structures
- Building services and environmental science
- Construction contract law
- Measurement and documentation
- Estimating and tendering process
- Production management
- Construction planning
- Management of organization
- Research project
- Project management
- Corporate management and finance
- Contract practice and administration
- Sustainable construction and the environment
- Construction management project
Construction management can be a fantastic career for those who love buildings and working with people and want to work in a professional capacity. Look at London's changing skyline and the demand for professionals in the built environment becomes obvious.
The course will enable you to develop a wide range of employability skills. How? Well, we take an applied approach to teaching and learning – and you’ll have lots of opportunities to build your work experience and professional network through an optional placement and an optional summer work placement.
With our combination of technical and management skills, this fascinating course opens up a range of opportunities within the industry. Areas you could go into include project management, contracting, consultancy and house building. Recent graduates have become contract managers, property managers, building contractors and construction managers. And, of course, you can choose to extend your qualifications by taking on the further postgraduate study.
Our graduates now work with companies such as Balfour Beatty, Capita Symonds, Croudace, EC Harris, Galliford Try, Kier, Laing O'Rourke, Mace, McAlpine, St George, Wates, and Willmott Dixon. Numerous graduates have set up their own firms after receiving chartership status from Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB).
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Teaching and learning
As a Built Environment and Architecture student, you will be allocated a named tutor during your first three weeks at LSBU. The role of your tutor is to be your primary contact for academic and professional development support.
Your tutor will support you to get the most of your time at LSBU, providing advice and signposting to other sources of support in the University.
Your tutor should be the first person at the university that you speak to if you are having any difficulties that are affecting your work. These could be academic, financial, health-related or another type of problem.
You will have appointments with your personal tutor at least once a year for approximately 30 minutes throughout your course. You can contact your tutor for additional support by email or phone.
- A Level CCC or;
- BTEC National Diploma DMM or;
- Access to HE qualifications with 45 Merits or;
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 112 UCAS points
- Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above).
- We welcome qualifications from around the world. English language qualifications for international students: IELTS score of 6.0 or Cambridge Proficiency or Advanced Grade C.
Program taught in: