Whether you’re looking to start a career in building surveying and property management, or are an established professional, this course will give you new routes into the construction and property practice industries.
Alongside a strong core of technology, you’ll study aspects of property and contract law, project management, and asset management. If you study full-time, there’ll be the chance to carry out a work placement in the third year, improving your employment prospects further.
This course is fully accredited by the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) to prepare you for a career in building surveying and property management in the construction industry. The CIOB is the professional body representing the building industry.
Why study Property Management at LSBU?
- Great teaching: No. 1 London university: for 'satisfied with teaching' and 'satisfied with assessment' in Building, town and country planning (Guardian League Table 2018).
- Professional accreditation: we’re fully accredited by the Chartered Institute of Building.
- Our staff is experts with many industry contacts.
- Flexible study: study full-time or part-time one day a week.
- Our subject-specific facilities include a Building Information Modelling (BIM Centre).
- History: we’ve been educating building professionals for over 100 years – and have strong industry connections.
For those holding a relevant HNC/D, it is possible to enter the course in the third year and 'top up' your existing qualification to a full degree. To apply, use UCAS (full-time) or apply directly to LSBU (part-time) and simply indicate which year of the course you wish to join.
Key course information - ordered by mode
|Full-time||3 years||September||Southwark Campus|
|Sandwich||5 years||September||Southwark Campus|
With a broad construction curriculum, this course will help to develop the skills and expertise to feel confident working within the building surveying or property management industries. It’s designed for those pursuing a career in building surveying and property management in the construction industry. We’ll cover construction technology; project management; law; economics; asset management; management and practice skills; and inspection, repair, and maintenance.
Methods of assessment for course overall: 68% coursework
- Building services and environmental science
- Building survey and inspection
- Construction technology and materials
- Construction technology and structures
- Construction practice
- Legal and economic context
- Construction contract law
- Estate and property asset management
- Measurement, cost planning and tender process for architects and building surveyors
- Theory of architecture, design, and conservation
- Sustainable construction and environment
- Property inspection, repair, and maintenance
- Research project
- Contract practice and administration
- Project management
- Management of the firm
- Building surveying project
- Property law and valuation
For those who love buildings and enjoy variety in their work, building surveying is an interesting and stimulating career choice. Building surveyors advise clients about the design and construction of new buildings and maintenance and repair of existing buildings.
Many of our graduates enter the industry as trainees with quantity surveying/construction firms and organizations in the UK and abroad. Recent graduates have gone onto jobs such as Graduate Building Surveyor and Property Manager.
Continuing to postgraduate studies and APC training
This course prepares you for a career in building surveying, allowing you to enter postgraduate studies and the profession at graduate surveyor level. From there you can progress to chartered status through RICS-approved Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) training.
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Teaching and learning
Your lecturers are leading practitioners in their fields, so everything we do is industry relevant. Inspiring guest speakers from renowned arts organizations and theatre companies will give you further industry insight and build your professional connections.
As a Built Environment and Architecture student, you will be allocated a named tutor during your first three weeks at LSBU. The role of your tutor is to be your primary contact for academic and professional development support.
Your tutor will support you to get the most of your time at LSBU, providing advice and signposting to other sources of support in the University.
Your tutor should be the first person at the university that you speak to if you are having any difficulties that are affecting your work. These could be academic, financial, health-related or another type of problem.
You will have appointments with your personal tutor at least once a year for approximately 30 minutes throughout your course. You can contact your tutor for additional support by email or phone.
- A Level CCC or
- BTEC National Diploma DMM or
- Access to HE qualifications with 45 Merits or
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 112 UCAS points.
- Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above).
- We welcome qualifications from around the world. English language qualifications for international students: IELTS score of 6.0 or Cambridge Proficiency or Advanced Grade C.
- It may be possible to enter at an advanced level if a candidate has obtained an HNC in either construction or surveying.
All modules are subject to change by the university and may differ from the modules you are offered during your studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 8, 2018