Social work is a broad-ranging career, providing support to a host of individuals, families, and groups, from the homeless to people with learning and physical disabilities. You’d be working in hospitals, care homes or at people's homes, assessing their circumstances and building relationships. If it appeals to you, and you like spending time with people, this course is an ideal starting point.
Why Real Estate at LSBU?
- No. 1 London university: for 'satisfied with teaching' and 'satisfied with assessment' in Building, town and country planning (Guardian League Table 2018).
- We’re fully accredited by the Chartered Institute of Building.
- Our staff is experts with many industry contacts.
- Flexible study: study full-time or part-time one day a week.
- Our subject-specific facilities include a Building Information Modelling (BIM Centre).
- We’ve been educating building professionals for over 100 years – and have strong industry connections.
Key course information - ordered by mode
This course focuses on the appraisal of commercial property for occupation, development, and investment largely in an urban context. You'll develop property related skills and knowledge together with an understanding of finance, business management, and marketing in the context of the industry. Methods of assessment for course overall: 55% coursework.
- Construction technology and materials
- Construction technology and structures
- Introduction to valuations
- Legal and economic context for the built environment
- Real estate brokerage and managing the firm
- Supporting Studies
- Real estate economics and finance
- Applied valuations
- Estate and property management
- Property development
- Planning and development control
- Property law
- Advanced valuations
- Corporate real estate management
- Property investment appraisal
- Project management
All modules are assessed by a mix of coursework, group coursework, presentations and exams.
This course is subject to validation and module content may change.
Our course is designed for those intending to work in general practice surveying, property management, property investment, property development and other property related fields.
Our School of the Built Environment and Architecture has an excellent reputation as a provider of high-quality education for Real Estate professionals. It has a very high success rate of graduates becoming Chartered Surveyors.
Employment prospects are excellent, with graduate opportunities at major real estate consultancies, as well as a broad range of property-related, private and public organizations.
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Vibrant and dynamic, the evolving London landscape is a huge asset and the focus of students' practical project work.
Teaching and learning
As a Built Environment and Architecture student, you will be allocated a named tutor during your first three weeks at LSBU. The role of your tutor is to be your primary contact for academic and professional development support.
Your tutor will support you to get the most of your time at LSBU, providing advice and signposting to other sources of support in the University.
Your tutor should be the first person at the university that you speak to if you are having any difficulties that are affecting your work. These could be academic, financial, health-related or another type of problem.
You will have appointments with your personal tutor at least once a year for approximately 30 minutes throughout your course. You can contact your tutor for additional support by email or phone.
- A Level ABB or
- BTEC National Diploma DDD or
- Access to HE qualifications with 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits or
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 128 UCAS points.
- Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above).
- We welcome qualifications from around the world. English language qualifications for international students: IELTS score of 6.0 or Cambridge Proficiency or Advanced Grade C.
All modules are subject to change by the university and may differ from the modules you are offered during your studies.
Program taught in: