The Alfred University Accounting major prepares you and your classmates to become certified public accountants, auditors, and consultants, enjoying dynamic employment opportunities following graduation in an ever-changing economic climate. You are also given the option of applying these principles in other majors and fields, such as business, finance, and law.
Gain real-world experience and academic credit with internships - whether your passion is public housing or private jets
- 100% Success
The placement rate for our accounting grads is exceptionally strong (virtually 100%) and is an indication of the high quality of our program.
- Work with clients
You will have a chance to work directly with clients preparing tax forms
AACSB International Accreditation
The Alfred University Accounting program is accredited by internationally recognized AACSB International, The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, which offers specialized accreditation for business and accounting programs at the bachelor's, master's, and doctoral level. Alfred University regularly submits to AACSB for review, aligning its program standards of continued improvement in quality education through innovation, engagement, and impact.
You will be afforded an opportunity to participate in leadership programs within the College of Business, allowing you to participate in the development of the college's strategic vision, mission, and goals. You will Interact with staff and faculty members across campus regarding career development and active-learning opportunities.
Travel, Tourism & Business
Every two years over spring break, a group of Alfred University School of Business students boards a Carnival cruise ship to study the operations of the floating city while visiting countries in the Caribbean to experience how travel and tourism are interrelated with business strategies. In recent years, students and faculty have visited Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize City to tour businesses and learn about their operations while seeing first-hand how shore excursions operate.
The Bachelor's of Science business degree is composed of professional core courses shared by all majors, business courses specific to each major, business electives totaling 48 credits in business, arts, and sciences, and general education core courses specified for business, and liberal arts electives to reach a minimum of 60 credits of liberal arts courses (as required for all Bachelor of Science degrees). Depending on the major, you will take additional electives to reach the total of 120 credit hours required for graduation. You are also required to:
- Complete a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper division business courses
- Maintain at least a 2.0-grade point average overall
- Satisfy the University's Physical Education requirement (credits not included in the 120 credits required for graduation)
- Satisfy the University's Global Perspectives requirement
- After your first year is complete, we urge all business students to gain the valuable, real-world experience only an internship can offer.
- Most internships occur during the summer months between semesters
- Each credit hour you'll earn equals 60 hours of work; you'll figure out the actual schedule with your site supervisor
- Internships may or may not be paid, depending on your host organization
- Grades are assessed based on complete, timely submission of all required internship documentation, with the final learning report weighted most heavily
Both inside and outside the classroom, the College of Business provides an enriched learning experience. Students in the Accounting major:
- Use the latest computerized accounting applications
- Attend professional accounting meetings
- Meet with professional accountants
- Take advantage of leadership opportunities
- Participate in study tours
- Work with clients
The placement rate for Accounting graduates in Alfred University's College of Business is exceptionally strong (virtually 100%) and is an indication of the high quality of our program. Our placement rate for those going to international, national, and regional CPA firms is particularly strong.
Recent graduates have been placed at the following firms:
- Crowe Horwath
- Harris RF Communications
- The Bonadio Group
- EFP Rotenberg
Many graduates continue on to the MBA Program at Alfred University, which automatically satisfies the New York State requirements to sit for the CPA exam.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 11, 2018