Bachelor in Materials Science and Product Design
The bachelor programme in Materials Science and Product Design is a 3½-year full-time programme taught in English, which enables you to work with materials and manufacturing processes in the fashion and furniture business. You get expert knowledge of new and innovative materials and insight into modern processing technology.
Apart from that, you get insight into modern processing technology, thus you can be part of optimizing aspects when it comes to techniques, product design, product development process, economics, and production in manufacturing companies.
The programme takes place in Herning in collaboration with the engineering training programmes at VIA and the University of Aarhus in Herning (AU Herning).
Content and Structure
The studies are based on theory as well as projects. Through different projects, you develop your ability to collaborate as well as develop and manage projects. Our workshops and laboratory offer the opportunity to test your theoretical competences in a practical manner.
During your studies, you will experience a close contact with companies from the textile or furniture industry i.e. through guest lectures, company visits, a trainee period and projects.
The programme stretches over seven semesters. The course structure is based on common subjects and a range of subjects based on your specialty, i.e. textile or furniture. Furthermore, you get to test your skills in a trainee period on the fifth semester. Below you will see a list of subject areas that runs across the semesters.
On the 5th semester of this programme, you will have the opportunity of gaining practical experience during a work placement period, while the 7th will focus mainly on your final bachelor project.
As a Material Technology Engineer, you have the competences to enter a wide range of jobs. For instance, you can work with product development, financial management, development and research on new materials, purchasing of new materials and products, and disposals and consultancy on materials and processes.
Your job title could either be a furniture engineer, textile engineer, product developer, controller, source or material, process consultant etc.
VIA University College will accept applications from international students having a:
- Upper Secondary School Examination
- The International and the European Baccalaureates
- Vocational education within business
- Other equivalent certificates or professional qualifications
The above certificates must provide evidence of:
- Mathematics corresponding to a Danish A-level (advanced level)
- Physics corresponding to a Danish B-level (intermediate level) or Earth Sciences at Danish A level
- Chemistry corresponding to a Danish C level (pre-intermediate level) or Biotechnology corresponding to a Danish A-level (advanced level)
- English language proficiency corresponding to a Danish B-level (intermediate level
Duration and Price
- Start date: September 2016
- Duration: 3.5 years
- Price: 46.000 EUR (Applicable in full to non-EU citizens)
- Campus/Place: Herning
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 10, 2018