Become an expert in an industry that's changing the way society uses energy with our Renewable Energy Engineering major. One of only a few true renewable energy programs seated in a strong engineering foundation, this program gives you the tools, technology, and know-how you need the following graduation to enter the growing renewable energy job market with countless opportunities.
- EXCLUSIVE PROGRAM
One of only a few true engineering degrees that specializes in renewable energy engineering.
- MODERN FACILITIES
New laboratory facilities for designing and testing renewable energy technologies.
- SHOWCASE TALENTS
A senior-design project that showcases your creative talents for solving real-world engineering problems.
What Do Renewable Energy Engineers Do?
Renewable energy engineers are energy engineers that specialize in renewable and alternative energy technologies. Renewable energy engineers develop renewable energy systems, make improvements in energy efficiency, and apply science and engineering with an economic sense to create a more sustainable future for our planet. As examples, renewable energy engineers may work on electrical systems, advanced controls, green buildings, energy-efficient lighting, fuel cells and batteries, wind turbines, and solar power systems.
What Will You Study?
In your first year, you will take Introduction to Engineering, Computer-aided Design, Computer-aided Engineering, and the Renewable Energy Engineering Explorations Lab as well as foundation courses in math, chemistry, and physics. Hands-on practical experiences continue throughout the program as you learn more about mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and business as they relate to the generation, delivery, and consumption of energy from renewable sources. As a senior, you will undertake a year-long senior design project, learning how to function as an effective group member within a realistic, job-like environment.
What Will You Do After Graduation?
Graduates of our program can look forward to working in energy industries specializing in renewable systems. You might work in the industry as a professional trained in government regulation, or become a regulator yourself. You might assist corporations in improving transmission and grid integration, power markets, utility operation, and planning methods, and product management. Above all, you will be able to communicate results to a broad audience including industrial, governmental and public sectors.
The BS degree program in Renewable Energy Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
If you have varied interests in engineering but are unsure which you excel at or enjoy working with the most, consider exploring our Undecided Engineering Pathway. The Inamori School of Engineering provides this option to students who are undecided as first-year students and allows them to discover the field of engineering that's the best fit for them.
What Will You Do?
Within the past few years, graduates have obtained jobs as:
- Engineer - NYISO
- Technical Product Manager for Power Film - AVX Corp.
- Solar Technician - SunBug Solar
- Glass Engineer - Owens Illinois
- Process Engineer - AVX Corp.
Program educational objectives (or PEOs) are broad statements that describe what we expect graduates of AU's renewable energy engineering program to attain 3-5 years after graduation. PEOs are reviewed and revised regularly to ensure that the program educational objectives are relevant to the needs of today's employers.
Program Educational Objectives
During the first few years after graduation, graduates can attain:
- Advancement within a multidisciplinary career within the context of renewable energy in industry, or advancement in postgraduate studies, or in a related field.
- An ability to actively engage in teams that solve problems with independent thinking with a drive towards excellence in their job/study performance.
- Adopt the engineering method with their lifelong learning skills with an understanding of complex social issues where renewable systems will play a key role.
Program Outcomes (Student Learning Outcomes)
Graduates of the Renewable Energy Engineering program at Alfred University will have:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety manufacturability, and sustainability.
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- A knowledge of contemporary issues.
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 11, 2018