Canada’s aerospace industry is one of the largest in the world. It provides employment to tens of thousands of Canadians across the nation. The industry is increasingly looking for its new hires to hold university degrees.
The Aeronautics Leadership Program at the University of Windsor provides students with a unique opportunity to combine a Liberal Arts and Leadership-focused education with Commercial Flight Training. Students enroll in a Bachelor of Arts, Liberal Arts and Professional Studies: Aeronautics Leadership, taking classes on the University of Windsor campus in areas of Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Business, Science, and Engineering. The curriculum is diverse and flexible, giving students the chance to explore various areas of study. This education is coupled with Flight Training, which is run by our industry partner, Journey Air, at the Windsor International Airport (YQG). The Aeronautics Leadership Program was developed in response to the growing demand for pilots and leaders in aviation and aerospace. Working in partnership with industry, we have gathered together a team of highly qualified people who draw upon their knowledge and years of experience to deliver an academic program that offers excellence in the classroom and in the eld. Our program also offers unique professional networking and employment opportunities for our graduates.
- Students complete 40 courses in the areas of Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Business, Science and Engineering.
- Six of the required courses must be taken from a selection of Leadership-focused courses.
- Eight of the required courses are Practicum in Professional Development, Pilot Training, which is credit given for ground school and flight training done at Journey Air each semester.
- Up to nine courses can be taken in areas of the student's choosing, making it possible for students to explore more areas of learning, or complete a minor in another area of interest.
Professional Pilot Training Program, run by our industry partner Journey Air
- While students complete course work toward their BA (Honours) they are simultaneously working towards their Commercial Pilot's License
- Year One: Private Pilot's License
- Year Two: Commercial Pilot's License
- Year Three: Multi-Engine Rating and Category 1 Instrument Rating
- Year Four: Option of working towards Class 4 Instructor Rating or time towards the Airline Transport Pilot License.
Our Industry Partner
Journey Air's Professional Pilot Training Program is designed to enrol a student, with little or no experience, and provide them with the knowledge and training required to become a Licensed Commercial Pilot with a Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, within the rst three years of study. Operating as an extension of campus, Aeronautics Leadership students have 24-hour, seven day a week access to Journey Air's newly upgraded facilities at Windsor International Airport (YQG). Flight simulators, training areas, aircraft, lounges, classrooms, briefing rooms, maintenance hangar, offices and more are on-site and easily accessible. The hands-on program and curriculum are fully integrated and ensure that each student receives the training required in the most logical and efficient manner.
Preparing for a Career
Our faculty and professional partners have developed this program to ensure that the academic schedule has an appropriate balance of classroom work and career mentoring. The combination of academic study and hands- on training gives students the opportunity to gain valuable professional experience and make connections with people in the aviation industry throughout their degree.
Scholarships and Awards
Every student entering an undergraduate program at the University of Windsor is automatically considered for Entrance Scholarships without applications. Bursaries are also available for application. In addition to our Entrance Awards, our Outstanding Scholars Program is available for high academic achieving high school students entering first-year undergraduate programs at the University of Windsor. Approximately 150 high-achieving, first-year students will be offered this prestigious award in year one of their studies. The goal of this program is to challenge and stimulate students by providing them with the unique opportunity of holding an undergraduate academic appointment in their second year of studies and beyond where students work with faculty on academic research projects.
At the University of Windsor, we offer 190 high-quality programs in an international setting. Equally important, you can experience a broad range of opportunities outside the classroom:
- Explore exchange opportunities with dozens of universities around the world.
- Enhance your work experience through co-op programs, internships and paid, research assistantships.
- Student-led organizations play a vital role on campus and in the broader community.
- The diversity of our students-where they are from, what they believe and how they think—will expand your mind.
For admission to the program, students need to have successfully completed ENG4U, SPH3U and either MHF4U, MCV4U or MDM4U. The minimum admissions average is 70%. The flight training component requires no previous flight experience.
Program taught in: