Programme Aims and Learning Outcomes
The programme is a four-year undergraduate interdisciplinary programme that leads to a Bachelor of Social Sciences degree. It equips students with the essential knowledge toolkit to explore the development and environmental challenges of today’s globalising world and to understand how different political, socio-economic, cultural and environmental processes shape the interaction between the global and the local contexts. The programme aims to develop and promote students’ awareness of sustainable development issues and encourages them to contribute actively to the local and global society through social science research and community engagement. Upon successful completion of the programme, graduates are expected to:
- describe and explain the political, socio-economic, and environmental transformations at local, regional and global levels;
- identify major players in global affairs, and explain the development trajectories of different political economies through critical inquiries;
- diagnose the contemporary sustainability challenges, and assess and propose feasible coping responses;
- apply critical thinking and practical skills in analysing issues pertaining to environmental pollution and sustainable development;
- demonstrate awareness to sustainability concerns and contribute responsibly to endeavours of the local and global communities;
- apply qualitative and quantitative techniques in formulating and implementing policy-informing research.
Note: Classes will be held in Tai Po Campus and Tseung Kwan O Study Centre / Kowloon Tong Satellite Study Centre / Sports Centre as decided by the University.
Career Prospects/Professional Qualifications
There is growing community demand for people with a global perspective, cultural sensitivity, environmental literacy, and strong critical thinking, communication and problem-solving skills. This programme will fill this gap and help prepare graduates for a wide range of careers requiring global vision, environmental literacy, and an enhanced understanding of how the wider world affects Hong Kong and China. Graduates are well-prepared to work in government, non-governmental organisations, international businesses, environmental consultancies and other professions.
Program taught in: