The Candido Mendes University's sponsor the Brazilian Society of Education, the oldest private institution of higher education in the country, founded in 1902 by Count Candido Mendes de Almeida, along with the Trade Academy of Rio de Janeiro. In 1919 it was created the School of Political Science and Economics of Rio de Janeiro, the first high school of economics in Brazil.
The Academy becomes, in the 50s, the Trade Technical School Candido Mendes, dedicated exclusively to high school. In the same decade, Candido Mendes de Almeida Junior creates the Faculty of Law Candido Mendes, based in Carmo Convent, the Praça XV de Novembro, establishing a standard of excellence in the area of legal sciences and being pioneer in forensic practice teaching. In the 60s, the current rector, Candido Mendes, inaugurates the University Research Institute of Rio de Janeiro - IUPERJ dedicated to post-graduate studies, master and, later, a doctorate in Political Science and Sociology. The quality of teaching and research program developed in IUPERJ has national and international recognition.
In the 1970s, the then Faculty Candido Mendes Ipanema expands and develops programs of technical and scientific training and business administration courses, which give rise to the campuses of Campos dos Goytacazes and Nova Friburgo. Also in Ipanema, the Cultural Center was created Candido Mendes, who became the reference point of the Carioca culture and pioneered a number of initiatives in the areas of cinema, theater, visual arts, poetry, video and extension education.
From 1997, the year in which the Candido Mendes is accredited by presidential decree, as a university specializing in Humanities and Social Sciences Applied, new courses and campuses are created, including the units of the Tijuca Center (Pius X) Padre Miguel, Jacarepagua and Meier, in addition to Niterói and Araruama, state of Rio de Janeiro, and Vitória, Espírito Santo. In 2001, the Institute of Humanities arises, integrating teaching, research and extension, with extensive scientific research program. Adds two centers of studies and graduate courses in the forms of bachelor and undergraduate, and graduate in Social Sciences, History, Literature, Photography, Art and Culture, Tourism and International Relations.
The Candido Mendes University stands out from its peers because it is an institution historically committed to excellence in research activities and graduate, holding centers and research institutes, seven master's programs and two doctoral, as well as dozens of courses sensu post-graduation. Publishes six journals.
The institution opened, starting in 2011, new campuses in different regions of Rio de Janeiro, for example, units of Santa Cruz and Bangu, in the West Zone, and the unity of Penha located in the north of the city.
Spread over a total of 15 units with 21 undergraduate and many others in the sequential and technological terms, the activities of the Candido Mendes University, supported by more than a century of tradition and excellence, which has established itself as a national and international reference in Science Humanities and Social, together more than 20,000 students and 1,000 teachers and researchers.
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil