The origins of the University of Bologna go way back, and it is considered to be the oldest university in the Western world. Its history is intertwined with that of the great names of science and literature, it is a keystone and a point of reference for European culture.
The University Today: Numbers and Innovation
- 5: the Campuses(Bologna, Cesena, Forlì, Ravenna e Rimini)
- 11: the Schools of the University of Bologna.
- 32: the Departments of the University of Bologna.
- 12: the Research and Training Centre.
- 11,000: (average) number of research products, more than 400 patents, 147 funded research projects (H2020 and LIFE), 10 SIR projects (Scientific Independence of Young Researcher), 7 Inter-departmental Centres for Industrial research (CIRI).
- 85,244: the students who have chosen the University of Bologna (A.Y. 2016/17), making it the most popular university in Italy. Teaching and extra-curricular activities take place in 1,162,506.81 m2 of space in the campuses of Bologna, Cesena, Forlì, Ravenna and Rimini.
- 215: Degree Programmes (A.Y. 2017/2018): 92 first cycle 3-year programmes, 110-second cycle programmes and 13 single cycle programmes.
- 71: International degree programmes, 47 of which are delivered in English.
- 41: PhD programmes (A.Y. 2016/17), 39 specialisation schools, 66 first and second level professional master's programmes, 16 of which are international.
- 2,113: international students from abroad on exchange programmes and 2,771 students enrolled at UNIBO who spent a study period abroad in 2016.
- 5,756 people: the university community of teaching and services staff.
- The library system offers access to 47,000 online journals, 190,000 e-books and 647databases.
- 1,100 wi-fi access points, 2 server farms with more than 520 virtual servers.
The University of Bologna has a Multicampus structure, ensuring the opportunity to learn and promoting stable research activities throughout the region, aiming to improve the operations and quality of life for the university community.
- Cesena Campus
- Forlì Campus
- Ravenna Campus
- Rimini Campus
- Representación en la República Argentina
University Structures and Articulations
Departments, Schools, Centres, other structures (art. 25 University Statute), and articulations constitute the cultural, teaching and research nucleus of the University of Bologna.The Advanced Schools, Institutes and Colleges combine high-level scientific research with professional and specialist training.
- Advanced School of Studies on the City and Territory - SSCT
- "A. Gaudenzi and G. Fassò" Interdepartmental Centre for Research in the History, Philosophy, and Sociology of Law and in Computer Science and Law - CIRSFID
- Center for Advanced Studies in Tourism - CAST
- Centre for Applied Biomedical Research – CRBA
- "Ercole De Castro" Advanced Research Center on Electonic System- ARCES
- “Giorgio Prodi” Cancer Research Center - CIRC
- Interdepartmental Centres for Industrial Research
- Interdepartmental Research Centre for Environmental Sciences - CIRSA
- "L. Galvani” Interdepartmental Research Centre for Integrative Studies in Bioinformatics, Biophysics and Biocomplexity - CIG
- Public Sector Research and Training Centre - CRIFSP
- Advanced School for Health Policy - SSPS
- European School of Advanced Fiscal Studies - SEAST
- High School for Legal Studies
- Specialisation School for Legal Professions "Enrico Redenti"
- Specialisation School for Public Administration Studies - SPISA
- Umberto Eco International Centre for Humanistic Studies
- University Centre for the protection and promotion of health and safety:
- Occupational Safety and Health Service
- Service for Animal Welfare in the University Teaching and Scientific Facilities
- University of Bologna Experimental Farm - AUB
Programs taught in: