Introducing the University for the Creative Arts
- We’ve been providing creative education for 160 years
- We’re the 2nd largest provider of creative education in Europe
- Based in scenic Surrey and Kent, we have campuses in Canterbury, Epsom, Farnham and Rochester
- We provide pre-degree, undergraduate and postgraduate education to the next generation of creatives
- Our Business School for the Creative Industries is the first of its kind in the UK.
At the heart of the creative industries
As a specialist arts institution, we are 100% creative. Our students develop their skills and thinking in environments that replicate the studios found within the creative industries, alongside peers on courses spanning arts, business and technology.
Oscar-winning filmmakers and animators, world-renowned fashion designers, television presenters and Turner-Prize nominees are just some of UCA's high-profile graduates who have enriched the world with their creative talents. Taught and guided by our experienced, industry-connected academic staff, our students reap the benefits of studying at the highest-ranked creative specialist in the UK.
Over the past year, we have consolidated our position as the highest-ranked creative specialist in the UK:
- We have been named Modern University of the Year by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.
- Ranked 25th in the THE ‘Table of Tables’ which identifies the top thirty UK institutions based on an average ranking across multiple league tables.
- The Guardian League Table 2020 positions us as 13th out of all UK universities.
- We’re the highest placed specialist creative university in all three UK league tables (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide, the Guardian League Table, and the Complete University Guide).
- We’re the UK’s No.1 specialist creative university for employability in the most recent Destinations of Leavers in Higher Education (DLHE) 2018. 96.9% of our graduates are either in employment or further study within six months of graduation.
- The Office for Student has recognised the quality of our teaching and awarded us ‘Gold’ in the Teaching Excellence Framework.
- Our students regularly win awards across the creative subjects. In the past year, our students have won prestigious awards in creative sectors including architecture, graphic design, fine art, photography, film, animation and crafts.
- The latest Research Exercise Framework (REF 2014) confirms our position as one of the top ten research communities in art and design, with 93% of our research designated as internationally recognised for quality, and 64% of our research submissions classed as world-leading and internationally excellent in terms of originality, significance and thoroughness.
Chancellor - Professor Dame Magdalene Odundo DBE
Professor Dame Magdalene Odundo is an internationally-renowned ceramicist whose work is in public and private collections worldwide. She became UCA’s second Chancellor in June 2018, succeeding Dame Zandra Rhodes who becomes Chancellor Emerita.
After graduating from UCA’s Farnham campus, then known as West Surrey College of Art & Design, Dame Magdalene developed the technique with which she builds her pieces, drawing on traditional Ugandan practice and other sources including Mexican pottery and Greek Cycladic sculpture.
Dame Magdalene was Professor of Ceramics at UCA Farnham from 2001 to 2016 before being inaugurated as a Professor Emerita and has received honours from cultural and educational institutions in the UK, Africa and the USA.
Chancellor Emerita - Dame Zandra Rhodes DBE RDI
Dame Zandra Rhodes is UCA’s Chancellor Emerita, having formerly served as our first Chancellor from 2010 to 2018.
Dame Zandra is one of the world's most recognisable, distinguished and exciting fashion designers. She has built her career upon the foundations of hard work and determination which we believe will help inspire and motivate our students to succeed in their chosen careers.
Dame Zandra has a special relationship with UCA, having attended one of our founder institutions, The Medway College of Design. Her mother was also a lecturer at the college.
To be recognised as a global authority on creative arts, creative technologies and business for the creative industries.
Why study at UCA?
Oscar-winning filmmakers, world-renowned fashion designers, television presenters, celebrity jewellers and Turner Prize nominees are just some of the high-profile graduates from the University for the Creative Arts.
As a specialist creative arts university, we have created a unique community for our students, where like-minded people can share in the creative process and inspire one another. Collaboration between courses is encouraged, with fine artists studying with budding filmmakers and fashion designers working alongside architects. In this way, our students benefit from exposure to a range of disciplines.
Choosing to study with us will give you the freedom to discover your own personal style through a winning combination of industry-focused courses, state-of-the-art facilities, and inspirational expert staff.
Life as a student at UCA
Creativity is the energy that drives everyone here to invent, explore and collaborate. When you study at UCA, you'll get the opportunity to immerse yourself in an unrivalled creative vibe, find your own style and create the extraordinary.
At UCA you'll be surrounded by people with the same passions as you. Our campuses offer cutting-edge creative environments, packed with the latest equipment and resources. Each one reflects the subject areas studied there, creating unique communities of artists, designers, makers, writers and researchers.
New Dover Road
CT1 3AN Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
KT18 5BE Epsom, England, United Kingdom
GU9 7DS Farnham, England, United Kingdom
ME1 1DZ Rochester, England, United Kingdom
ME14 5NZ Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
Hampton Court Palace
KT8 9AU Molesey, England, United Kingdom